Thursday, September 21, 2006

Travels

A while ago, Mama asked if IE can already appreciate a trip to Disneyland- Hongkong. I said probably yes, because he already recognizes the Disney Channel anyway, and he has good memory (one time, we were walking to the hospital's "parking lot" when he say this big pulley being used by the electric cooperative's men in transporting the logs to be used as electric posts... he pointed to it and asked what it is... so i told him it was a "pulley"... then a month later, we were walking the same street from the hospital's "parking lot" to the hospital, when he pointed to the electric cooperative's lot and said "poo-wie"... natandaan nya!)

Well, Mama asked if she can bring IE herself to Disney HK or if Johnny & I will be the ones to go. My sister and I immediately said we prefer to go to Tokyo Disney instead... because we wanted to go to Japan. Haha! As if we can come and go as we please... As if we had the money!

During our last trip to the US (of course, financed by our parents) in 2004, I was struck by the great difference in the US Dollar and the Philippine Peso. My $300 monthly salary is really miniscule compared to the US Minimum wage (at that time, it was US$10 per hour, I think)... And recently, I nearly threw a throwpillow (well, that's why they're called such) at our TV set while watching Oprah and her guests who were lobbying for an increase in the minimum wage. I was thinking, what were they complaining about?! If they think they're earning meager amounts, why don't they try living here in the Philippines where their minimum wage can go a long way... or try Cambodia, Bangladesh...

Then, I realize how much Americans are spending for their daily "needs": a bottle of Pepsi (2L or 1.5L) cost $1.60 in 2004, a bottle of purified water cost $2 - $2.50 in 2004, 2 bags of Lays cost $2.90 (promo only!), a liter of gasoline cost more than $1.74... or was it $17.40? I don't remember anymore but the point is, the whole debate about minimum wage and rising prices and mortgage costs is a paradox.

I guess the clamor of Oprah's guests for higher minimum wage is somewhat justified by the high costs of living. But it is a hopeless cycle! No matter where you are, in the US or in the Philippines (or in Dubai!), it is like a dog chasing after its own tail.

Increase the minimum wage because of higher prices. Increased minimum wage means higher labor cost. Higher labor cost entails increased prices to meet the desired profit. So the minimum wage has to be increased again. And so on and so forth...

So what's the solution? I tend to believe Robert Kiyosaki's "philosophy" (though not his original, he emphasized this in his "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" book) to LIVE WITHIN YOUR MEANS!

Okay, okay, okay! I know, I should practice what I preach. Johnny keeps telling me that every now and then. But what am I to do? I can audit, can do budgets, can account for financial information --- for other people. But I can't do it for our family. Maybe because my parents are generous (not that I'm complaining!), but it's my own fault that I am so complacent regarding our finances.

So how can I go to Japan, or China (for the trade fair --- see next blog), or the US or Europe? I don't know... But I'll figure it out...

No comments: